What is the OWL Institute?
The Open World Learning Institute helps individuals, families, and communities find, create and use open educational resources.
What are Open Educational Resourses (OER)?
OER are digitized materials offered freely and openly for educators, students and self-learners to use and re-use for teaching, learning and research. OWL collects, organizes, creates and distributes OER to make it easy for anyone to use them effectively and meaningfully. OWL does this by resolving the key issues of time, skills and access.
Making Free & Open Education a Reality
To realize the vision of free and open access to high-quality educational opportunities, OWL’s mission is to research, develop, and distribute educational resources and opportunities across economic, geographic and cultural barriers.
What we do:
• Support the community in the use and development of open education
• Establish self-sustaining, community-based open education centers
• Provide digital literacy programming and community outreach
• Research best practices in open education
• Perform scientifically-based research of learning technologies, products and services
• Develop open source educational tools
• Produce standards-compliant open education courses
• Conduct research and advocacy in the area of digital and educational law and regulation
The Future of Learning
Flexible, learner-centered, anytime, anywhere education is a goal that could not be achieved through the industrial method of same time, same place education. By leveraging the power of the digital medium to meet the expanding and changing needs of a global population, the OWL Institute will sustain and expand operations through value-added products and services.